Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The beginning of something grand!


On the 27th August I arrived in Canada to begin my exchange adventure for one whole year. Yep you heard that right, one whole year of being stranded in a strange country with only a cuddly penguin for company! The flight was fun. I travelled with Air Transat and was sat next to this old Canadian Lady whose parents came from England. She was very friendly, but kinda panicked me when she told me that the thunderstorms were so fierce that iif you are on the phone during one lightning can go down the phone line and kill you! The airport in Toronto is huge and I had to wait in the customs line for ages, but I eventually managed to get to York University. It was then with my two very heavy cases, backpack and shoulder bag that I realised i was on the ninth floor. Luckily with some expert baggage handling and the assistance of a young Vietnemese guy I made it to my room. It's not too shabby. It has a great view of the rexall tenis stadium, note the banner displaying Maria Sharapova prominently. The Rexall Tennis Stadium is the home of the Masters Tennis Series. Check out the photo for my bedroom view. It looks great at night too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To clarify about the phones, you can only get fried if the copper grounding cable on your house isn't working and yo uare on a corded phone (not a cordless, portable phone). And even then it is super rare. Most people survive it through a phone line anyway. We learn about it in 9th grade. Wait till we have a big one you can watch, you'll love it. The best time to fly a kite is right before a big storm like that, because the winds are up. But you have to stop before the lighning comes (obviously).

Unfortunately, the poster of Maria Sharapova has been taking down, significantly reducing the appeal of gazing out my window between conjugating french verbs. Damnit.

Do you think they'll put something better up? Anna Kournikova wouldn't be bad. Or some other tennis good looking person. Good looking TO ME, right Phil?

Anonymous said...

so annonymous, you and Phil have differing tastes on women then? Can Anna Kournikova really be labelled a tennis player when her career was so short lived?

Btw thank you for the clarification on the phones issue, I can sleep/speak easy now!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have no authority whatsoever about tennis. I think Anna Kournikova was just some poster girl for sexually appealing tennis.

Good to know you feel better about phones. Although, apparently they don't have too many thunderstorms in England. Phil gets far too excited about big storms.

Caitlin