Thursday, January 26, 2006

Ice Ice Baby dun dun dun dur dur dur






I would just like to take this opportunity to welcome Patrick, a brand new exchange student to the posse, he studies in England, originally from Germany and lives in Brussels. Continental or what. So last weekend we has two little jauntys. The first involved Republik, a rock club in downtown Toronto. Joe, Patrick and me were meeting some other dudes inside the club so we get in. We then go to the coat check, bare in mind its cold and snowy out so we are wearing big coats.

"Sorry guys the coat check is full"

translates into:
You are going to have to walk around in a crowded rock club with Toronto's so called cool crowd carrying your ridiculously oversized coats under your arm and looking like prize plonkers!


So we enter looking like prize plonkers as expected and set up base during a system of a down song by the bar. Boy do they know how to make barmaids in Canada. They are very tall, very hot, but in a stripper sort of way and they wear very and I mean VERY revealing clothes. So we stood by the bar for the while taking in the ambiance of the place. I then went to get the first round in and who should serve me, but the hottest and tallest bar maid there was. When giving me my drinks she winked at me provocatively. I decided not to tip and therefore fall for her clever flirty game. 1-0 I thought as I walked away with the beers triumphantly. Besides the beers were pricey despite being paid for in canadian dollars.

Two hours later we met up with the other 3 people we were originally supposed to hang with. One was German (Cosi from the Christmas holiday), one was Canadian (Dianna who last year went on exchange to Stoke) and the other was tanned (I forget his name) more than David Dickinson himself. He was a bloke as well. The two girls were great dancers although Joe, Patrick and I did a mean shake rattle and roll and may have shown them up.

The night ended when they decided they would make there own way home and Joe, Pat and me wandered off into the moonlight, and then into a taxi and then back into Stong for a kip.

The following night me, Joe and Patrick decided we would hit the town again. This time we headed for the C lounge, a popular bustling night spot. Inside the place was made entirely of ice. Not the toilets of course, that would be silly. However, the toilets were very confusing as they had stand ups in stalls and it wasn;t clearly labelled and there was some bloke touching up girls' make up. It was all very odd. The ice lounge however was great, they even gave you complimentary coats when you go in, however, it did turn me into a walking Smirnoff Ice advert. It was warm nonetheless. Inside the centrepiece was none other than an ice penguin. It was really really cool, much like that scene from Die Another Day, not the best Bond film by any means, but a passable effort. Check out the camera hi-jinks we got up to in there when let loose with a camera. On the way home Joe sang songs by Snoop Dogg (ironically of course) and we witnessed two fights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe you didn't tip - huge nono in Canada. and if that was MY bar, I'd be PISSED.

The Ripper, huh? That may be worse than the Philmeister or the Penguin Master. I still like Philippo best, and I'm sticking with that. And we haven't had any quality time lately, so we need to for dinner again sometime, okay? I think we should go off campus and have some REAL food. Thai would be nice . . . .

And I didn't quite realise how very dramatic your deer adventure was. Although it happens, you know. If you a hit a moose with your car, you can die, which is pretty scary. In fact, you likely will die. Moose are freaking huge.

I finally finished shooting my film. Jason suggested we just call it "trees and shit", cause that's really all it is (ugh, if I get one more "location exploration" assignment, I will SCREAM) . . . . in fact, it felt more like framing a beautiful still photograph (because where we were WAS beautiful) and then panning a bit to give it some motion. Ugh. Although I got in a really awesome rack focus between a half submerged log and an emptied Triple Sec bottle. And we happened upon a fairly film-worthy goodbye note, traced into the ice on the pond to a guy named Joel who apparently died at 20 just this month. We wound up titling it "Austria-Hungary?" after Jason and I talked about nothing for 1.5 hours last night and neither of us could remember the name of the side in WWI with Austria-Hungary (I looked it up, it was the Triple Alliance . . . can't believe I forgot that).

Anyway, I best go, I'm tired of sitting in Acadlabs. I have a ridiculous movie rented tonight from SMIL that I'm itching to watch.

Talk to you later, Philippo.

PS. I keep thinking about how much I'm going to MISS YOU when you go back to England. Soooooo. You'd better start being a good email writer or something (in case you're not already, I don't know.)

--Caitlin (the fabulous still-image filmmaker, renowned for her famous cinematography in the critically-acclaimed film, "Trees and Shit".

Heh.