Wednesday, December 28, 2005

the (Mont)real deal




Eventually we all rolled into Montreal and our accomodation lay before us, the Auberge de Jeunesse. I had never stayed in a hostel before and was shocked, in fact visibly shaken, when I found out we had to make our own beds. Luckily it was all okay and I got the top bunk :D The room we were given was shared with this Aussie dude. Now this man was a colourful character, lets just say his previous night on the town had involved crazy strippers and mexicans. He had some great stories! The next day we went into Montreal to explore what it had to offer. The city heralded huge basilicas and cathedrals alongside the modern stylings of the traditional American skyscrapers. We stopped off in a little restaurant for brunch before endering through the French-Chinatown! We covered much of downtown before heading out in the evening to check out the nightlife and this is where the real hilarity begins. To cut a long story short we got confused and ended up in the gay district. Seriously, the village people were wandering round, oh and the leather chaps! We wandered further, until finally we found a 3 storey French bar. I decided I would use my superior language skills to integrate myself within Montreal culture. Thus I ordered deux biere sil vous plat. Well I ordered that in theory, but what came out was a mish mash of random strung together syllables that was as much French as Japanese. The barmaid replied "What?" However, not giving up I tried again, this time with even less of an accent. To which she replied "what?" So finally I said "could I have two beers please?" To which she replied "No problem mate."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh my god, Phil. I have heard you speak French and I can,t believe you actually tried it out on a poor bartender . . . . I seriously laughed when I heard that.

I'm just going to comment on this one for ALL of your recent updates - I'm glad you had a cool time in Montréal, and when I come back I want to see all the photos.

I should definitely be in Toronto with Diego on New Year's Eve . . . maybe I'll pop in and bother you for a while, lol. I may stop at Yorkdale before I leave to grab a case for my new iPod, it's crazy, the nano is so indemand in Cambridge that they no longer have ANY cases in stock!

Caitlin